My Roadmap part 2


A Journey to the 3D world.

This stage in my life, I have decided to learn about the 3D world before creating 3D games so When I start making games I have a robust understanding of the models.

So I started to read about it. The first thing was the pipeline of the creation of the 3d models( Concept Art - Modeling - Texturing - Rigging - Animation - rendering ).

I didn't like the Art section neither was good at it so I decided to go directly to the modeling part and just try to clone objects or do whatever comes to my mind. I followed step by step tutorials and try to get used to its interface. It was Maya Autodesk 2016.

My First model was a glass. It took 2 hours from me to do it alone after that, I couldn't find the button for saving the render result as an image so I took screenshot *lol*.


My First Model

After a lot of practicing and watching tutorials following the steps. I got a basic understanding of making models out of simple shapes and just coloring them without actual texturing. So I would just put the material and start coloring it. So with a little tweaking in the shapes, I could make some models ( TV - Laptop - Chair.. etc).


Unfortunately at this part of the journey. I made a shift-delete of one month of models by mistake. I was so angry about it and needed to relax a couple of days before starting again. later I found a laptop rendered image from this time.


My laptop model

I wanted to go to the next level. Making something more complex. so I decided to clone the Minion. It was really hard for me to make it. I remember I had a problem with the scale of the parts and making the shapes smooth. before I was only doing hard surface so doing this was a kind of struggle. it took me 3 days.

My Minion Clone

After creating the minion model, I wanted to animate it, I saw some rigging and animating stuff. and here come the problems when I tried to apply the basics of that. I couldn't, even making poses. It was a struggle.that's the moment when I learned the glory of the topology and its importance and all the models I made before was a disaster. 

At this time I started to learn about topology and watch pros tutorials and tips. and for the first time, I started to use references while I model instead of relying on memory to get the measurements right. I was getting the feel of a 3rd model. I remember while I was walking on the streets. I would look at the objects and imagine how I would model that. also, I had a Pro friend that gave me a huge boost by just watching him how he models.



Shoe Model(practicing topology)


I wanted my next challenge to be more complicated. so I decided to make Buzz Lightyear model. I couldn't do the face at this time as my background was all in hard surface modeling. actually, I made a face but it was just ruining the model, so I removed it. I took about a week to finish the modeling and for the first time, I tried to make a 4k image render it took a whole day.
Buzz Lightyear Suit Model

I got a bit confident about my modeling skills. I started to jump to other topics like UV, Texturing, Rendering so I can make a better representation of my models. I started doing daily modeling practice and try to make a good looking image out of it. Later I changed the rendering software to an easier one and it gave better results.



Practicing Modeling

After 3 Months of learning and exploring 3D creation aspects. I wanted to end my holiday with a masterpiece and combine what I learned in one project. Also, I wanted to animate it. but since I didn't learn much about rigging or animation. I couldn't. So I thought of just making the movement of the camera.

The model I chose for that mission was the Batbod from Batman Movie. It had a lot of details and its colors were simple.so that I can easily texture it. It took 1 week for me to make that.



Finally, I have reached a good understanding of how the 3d world works. I have learned a lot on this journey mainly on modeling as my main part and a bit on other aspects. I wanted to get back to the game development and make use of the knowledge I have gained.

At least now when I see artists' 3D creations, I appreciate the efforts to make those stunning art.
I would still do some modeling from time to time to refresh my memory,
here are some of the projects I did at various times also you can find some here.


Various models

Honorable Mention: after some years I wanted to make a cool 3d video so I made Grendizer dancing on Gangnam style.


So my next stage would be 3d Games and especially AR(Augmented Reality) ones. To be continued...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Roadmap part 3

TestYourBond scrapper with python